From: pclouds <pclouds@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Add new variable BINARY_KEYWORDS for binary support?
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 06:24:39
1 On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 06:23:54PM +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On 08/14/04 pclouds wrote:
3 >
4 > > Hi
5 > > I noticed there are some binary ebuilds with suffix "-bin" such as
6 > > openoffice-bin. I'd propose adding a new variable BINARY_KEYWORDS into
7 > > openoffice ebuild and remove openoffice-bin ebuild.
8 > > The syntax of BINARY_KEYWORDS is as same as KEYWORDS. When people
9 > > prefer binary ebuilds, they can do
10 > > BINARY_KEYWORDS="x86" emerge something
11 > > and emerge will do install a tbz2.
12 > > When a maintainer decide to add binary support for some arch, they add
13 > > new archs to BINARY_KEYWORDS. We may need BINARY_SRC_URI also for tbz2
14 > > files.
15 > > We may also form binary arch herds just like arch herds :)
16 > > Is this possible?
17 >
18 > Ehm, why?
19 > This won't work as binary packages usually have a completely different
20 > way of installation (how many binary packages use `./configure; make;
21 > make install` ?), so you'd also need different src_compile and
22 > src_install functions which basically means there is no benefit at
23 > all.
24
25 It won't use "./configure;make;make install". When you want to
26 install binary packages, it will fetch the corresponding tbz2 and
27 install it. src_compile, src_install and others are ignored.
30 Bi Cờ Lao