From: Pengcheng Xu <i@××××××××.moe>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] New USE=-native-symlinks for gcc-config and binutils-config
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 01:41:00
1 > USE=-native-symlinks removes a bunch of links that most packages use by default
2 > until are overridden explicitly. Incomplete list is:
3 > - /lib/cpp
4 > - /usr/bin/{gcc,cc,g++,c++,...}
5 > - /usr/bin/{as,ld,ranlib,dwp,...}
6 >
7 > The rule of thumb is: if a tool does not have ${CTARGET}- prefix it will probably
8 > disappear with USE=-native-symlinks.
9 >
10 > (At least eventually) 'emerge' should still be able to build most of packages
11 > in such environment. I expect initial breakage will be huge though.
12 >
13 > Using './configure && make && make install' style workflow will be more tedious.
14 > One workaround at least for gcc is to use something like:
15 > $ PATH="$(gcc-config -B):$PATH"
16 > It's not perfect. We'll see if toolchain can provide nicer environment.
19 Do we currently have (or is there a plan for) a mechanism to manage the symbolic links and/or create them after merging the package when necessary? It's quite tiresome to type in $CHOST-gcc for simple everyday tasks.
20
21 Regards,
22 --
23 Pengcheng Xu
24 https://jsteward.moe

openpgp-digital-signature.asc application/pgp-signature