From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: LANG=en_GB.UTF-8 by default
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 00:17:25
1 On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 11:56:40PM +0800, Ben wrote:
2 > On 19 February 2012 23:14, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 > >>>>>> On Sun, 19 Feb 2012, Ben  wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> In my opinion we should set a default environment with the following
6 > >> values:
7 > >
8 > >> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
9 > >> LC_ALL=
10 > >> LC_COLLATE=C
11 > >
12 > >> This offers the best default options to the majority of users, and
13 > >> is easy to customize for those who wish to use another locale.
14 > >
15 > > At least, LC_NUMERIC=C should be added to this, otherwise numbers will
16 > > be formatted with commas as thousands separators.
17 > >
18 > > Also en_US.UTF-8 for LC_MEASUREMENT and LC_PAPER means imperial units
19 > > and letter paper, which isn't optimal for users outside of the U.S.
20 > >
21 > > Ulrich
24 > I think those users (and that includes myself) should then set LANG to
25 > something more appropriate to their use case.
26
27 According to our localization guide, there is a safe default that forces
28 UTF-8 characters but doesn't force any language. I have the following
29 single line in /etc/env.d/02locale:
30
31 LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
32