From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] baselayout-1.12.5 sucks
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 08:17:37
1 On Monday 25 September 2006 08:35, Noack, Sebastian wrote:
2 > The workaround is to hack /etc/init.d/checkroot to call `dmesg -n 1` on
3 > startup, even though in /etc/conf.d/rc is a variable RC_DMESG_LOGLEVEL
4 > which is set to "1" by default, but it doesn't affect anything.
5
6 RC_DMESG_LEVEL is the correct variable - conf.d/rc is in error and will be
7 fixed in the next version.
8
9 > The other reason is, that independent from which net.*-scripts are
10 > attached to a runlevel, at least one net.*-script besides net.lo becomes
11 > started according to RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING="no" [1] in /etc/conf.d/rc.
12 > Such behaviour shouldn't be the default. If I want a distro where
13 > anything happens automatically, I would use Ubunto or Suse. Furthermore
14 > it isn't even possible to stop this behaviour by setting
15 > RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING to "none" or "lo" [1].
16
17 RC_STRICT_NET_CHECKING controls what the "net" dependency fullfills - it does
18 not and never has started anything automatically.
19
20 I believe this new behaviour you are seeing is called COLDPLUG when this
21 happens at boot time and HOTPLUG there after. These have simple yes/no
22 settings in conf.d/rc.
23
24 Please note that baselayout doesn't actually do any hot/cold plugging itself -
25 it merely controls udev/hotplug to some extent.
26
27 > The workaround therefore is to set RC_PLUG_SERVICES="!net.*" in
28 > /etc/conf.d/rc.
29
30 Yes, that allows COLDPLUG/HOTPLUG on everything but net services - it's used
31 for fine tuning if you like. This is also documented in /etc/conf.d/rc
32
33 Thanks
36 Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
37 Gentoo/Linux Developer (baselayout, networking)
38 --
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list