From: "Robin H.Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] IPv6 support in network initscripts
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 05:56:16
1 On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 11:29:27PM -0400, Peter Johanson wrote:
2 > Solutions:
3 > * Seperate net.ethX and net6.ethX scripts.
4 > Problems: When something fails in current net.ethX script,
5 > we do 'ifconfig ethX down'. If we do this with co-existing
6 > v4+v6, we bring down the other form of networking.
7 >
8 > Advantages: Lets us have a "provide net" and "provide net6".
9 > Other scripts can independantly depend on one or the other, or both,
10 > or have "need net \ use net6", etc.
11 >
12 > More easily allows for IPv6 only networks if in an IPv6 only
13 > environment. (example: LAN using 6to4 tools)
14 I think this would be the better solution in general, but I have one
15 thing to add with it.
16 ifconfig should really get deprecated. The 'ip' tool of sys-apps/iproute
17 has long been noted as mostly superior in functionality (there are some
18 obscure, obsolete commands in ifconfig that I have never heard of
19 being used in recent times).
20
21 'ip' also provides a single tool for easily doing things that would take
22 a few other commands.
23
24 One particullar distinction is the seperation of the link and address
25 layers, which are mostly synonymous in ifconfig.
26
27 One other thing to consider in this, is possible integration of
28 zeroconf (http://www.zeroconf.org/).
29
30 On any system, IPv4 network will practially always exist, even if it is
31 only on the loopback interface.
34 Robin Hugh Johnson
35 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
36 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
37 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
38 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85