From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: initramfs required on Linux systems with separate /usr
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 08:24:14
1 On 25/09/13 11:06, Thomas Sachau wrote:
2 > William Hubbs schrieb:
3 >> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 02:55:49AM +0200, Tom Wijsman wrote:
4 >>> Makes me wonder if the "Why?" question should be left unanswered; I'm
5 >>> also not quite sure if we can produce a short answer, can the actual
6 >>> problem be summarized in one short clear sentence at all?
7 >>
8 >> I will try, but not in this thread. I want this thread to stay focused
9 >> on the news item.
10 >>
11 >> Here is the updated newsitem based on feedback I have received so far.
12 >>
13 >> William
16 > What about busybox[sep-usr]? Is that still supported or is everyone with
17 > separate /usr forced to use an initramfs?
18
19 I don't see how busybox[sep-usr] would fix the problem of
20 net-wireless/bluez installing to /usr and bluetooth keyboards, or
21 sys-apps/kbd installing keymaps to /usr, and so forth
22 Should just declare it unsupported -- that's doesn't stop people from
23 still using separate /usr.
24 I think the point with declaring it unsupported is to let people know
25 there will be issues, and they have to deal with them.