From: Jason Rhinelander <jason@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] consistent Gentoo tool names
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 20:59:57
1 > It could just be g-config-<package>, or even gconfig-package.
2
3 Ooh, ooh, I know! How about just "gconf-"? ;)
4
5 I remember quite some time ago (a year and a half, maybe two years?) of
6 the tools mentioned in this thread that existed, some were of the form
7 update-xyz, the other half were xyz-update - 'modules-update' comes to
8 mind. I understand the pull to want all of the similar tools to be
9 consistent, and using a "config-xyz" or "update-xyz" makes the tools
10 easier to find*.
11
12 That said, 'xyz-(update|config)' makes more /natural/ sense. If I know
13 that I need to run the module script, I can hit 'module<tab>' and get
14 the right script, or at least a small list of commands. Likewise for
15 most others (though some need a '-' for tab-completion purposes):
16 opengl, etc, gcc, etc. I don't know about you, but normally when I'm
17 using one of these tools I have an express purpose in mind: "change
18 opengl libraries," "change to a different gcc," "see if any etc files
19 have updates," "update my kernel module dependencies", etc. My purposes
20 are generally not "see what configuration I can change today."
21
22 Unfortunately, I don't have a perfect solution, only suggestions. The
23 idea of "just stick a document somewhere" doesn't cut it - you have the
24 same problem of how to direct people to that document. Add another
25 document pointing to that document, ad infinitum?
26
27 What about the possibility of some sort of configuration script wrapper?
28 Call it "update", for the sake of simplicity. Then I could run:
29
30 update gcc
31 update opengl
32 update modules
33 update etc
34
35 Then various *-config and *-update programs could register themselves
36 somehow, so that "update --help" could list all the things that can be
37 updated on the current system, and could (and should) even include
38 descriptions of what the various commands do. Someone could then write
39 a fairly trivial bash-completion script to allow 'update <tab><tab>' to
40 list all the configuration tools on my system, but good old 'etc-update'
41 would still be there when my first thought is "etc" instead of "update".
46 * (As a side note, to the end of uniformity, opengl-update should
47 probably change to config-opengl (or opengl-config), since it has more
48 in common with the other 'config' scripts than 'update' scripts.
49 'update' should mean "update my system," while 'config' should mean
50 "change something on my system" - where "something" can generally be
51 changed back with the same tool.)
52
53 -- Jason Rhinelander
54 -- Gossamer Threads, Inc.