From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 16:12:12
1 On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 17:06:17 +0100
2 Peter Alfredsen <loki_val@g.o> wrote:
3 > To be honest I see no good reason for allowing manipulation of it, but
4 > I'm sure other people will tell me why adding this requirement at this
5 > point is wrong
6
7 There's not really a good reason to allow manipulating it (and,
8 obviously, with GLEP 55 manipulating it becomes impossible), but since
9 for all current EAPIs it's just defined as a metadata variable that's
10 generated in the same way as things like SLOT, manipulating it is
11 unfortunately legal.
12
13 > even though no ebuilds in the tree to the best of my knowledge use
14 > EAPI as anything more than a declaration that's placed Just before
15 > inherit, right after the header.
16
17 People have, in the past, set EAPI inside eclasses. It's stupid and
18 horrible, but they've done it.
19
20 But here's the thing -- even if we retroactively enforce a new rule
21 requiring it to be specified in a particular way right after the header
22 (which is bad, since it breaks things people have already done), it
23 *still* doesn't let us change global scope behaviour since current
24 package managers don't extract EAPI the horrid way.
27 Ciaran McCreesh