From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19, reloaded (again)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:12:15
1 On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 09:24, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > The release schedule for liveCDs/package sets is 4/year. We're talking
3 > about an annual cycle here.
4
5 At no point have I ever seen a cycle mentioned for the "stable" tree,
6 until now. Also, I've stated in many threads before that -releng is
7 more than willing to work with whomever to make changes to the release
8 cycle to best serve the needs of our users. UNFORTUNATELY, it seems
9 that people don't read most of the threads that go on here, so I have to
10 repeat myself quite a bit to get this out to everyone interested... ;]
11
12 > > So the idea is to create exactly *one* stable tree? How is this any
13 > > different than just doing better with our current tree? Honestly, from
14 > > what I've heard from our users, they want package stability (as in
15 > > freeze) much more than anything else. This is *exactly* why I recommend
16 > > tying the "stable" trees with the releases. I'm not sure I can
17 > > understand how doing anything else really gives us anything other than
18 > > adding more workload for the simple fact of adding workload. Having a
19 > > "stable" tree that still moves, and only providing a single "stable"
20 > > tree doesn't seem to be an improvement from what we have at all.
21 >
22 > No -- we would have one tree for each release, but the difference is that
23 > you're talking about using the tree to control versions and I'm talking
24 > about using profiles to control versions. With the current proposal, the
25 > *only* difference between the main rsync module and the "stable" module is
26 > that the latter has the --delete option removed. This is to ensure ebuilds
27 > remain in the tree for a predictable period of time. It has nothing to do
28 > with package versioning.
29
30 So we move no closer to our goal of providing a stable/frozen
31 installation environment than to ensure ebuilds don't disappear from the
32 tree? How is this really beneficial to our users? Is there a reason
33 for completely separating the idea of a "stable" tree from our already
34 established releases? Is there a reason why they cannot both be
35 modified to work together and do what is best for our users, gives them
36 the most choice, and gives them what they're actually asking for?
39 Chris Gianelloni
40 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
41 Gentoo Linux
42
43 Is your power animal a penguin?