From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dependencies on system packages
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 22:46:18
1 Robert Buchholz wrote:
2 > A problem package would be one that does not need a C compiler. It can't
3 > be distinguished from the one which was not yet changed to depend on C.
4 >
5 > The problem here is that one can not say when the whole tree is updated
6 > to the new standard, because for the packages which were not touched, it
7 > could mean that they needed no change or that they were not looked at yet.
8 >
9 I can understand that as a maintenance issue. My query is whether having two
10 different types of pkg would effect users in any way.
11
12 > A solution to distinguish the two categories is to mark the packages
13 > which were "checked", so you know:
14 > 1. If it's checked and doesn't depend on cc -> category 1
15 > 2. If it's not checked and doesn't depend on cc -> category 2
16 >
17 > Then, when all packages are checked, the tree is upgraded.
18 >
19 Sure, that makes sense. It sounds a heckuva lot like a database ;)
20
21 Minor point- how can you tell in cat 2 that it definitely does not need a C
22 compiler if it hasn't been checked? I'm guessing you were tired :) In any
23 event in terms of maintenance, we'd need a tri-state: unchecked, checked
24 and needs compiling, checked and doesn't (eg scripts).
25
26 In terms of maintaining the metadata, am I right in thinking it's all just
27 kept within the text files in the tree?
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list