From: Christoph Junghans <ottxor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Virtual for awk implementation
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 00:12:31

recently I stumbled across a problem with mawk, which is apprearly
Ubuntu's default awk interpreter.
This brought the idea to my mind of adding a virtual for awk. Beside
the fact that we already have 3 awk interpreters in gx86 (gawk, mawk
and busybox awk), there are other ones like nawk and awka.

I had some discussions with spanKY on that topic in bug #415689, which
summarizes in the following:

- mawk is faster - useful for scientific purposes
- busybox awk could replace gawk on minimal systems
- more POSIX conform systems

- some awk code in the tree and portage is probably using GNU
extensions without executing gawk explicitly
- gray zone of Posix 1003.2  (e.g. substr() function and an index of 0)

What we would need:
- virtual/awk
- app-admin/eselect-awk (version available in cj-overlay)
- testing and migration of existing packages using gawk
to name a few.

I have tested mawk as default interpreter for a while on my x86 boxes
and didn't observed any problems so far.

Christoph Junghans

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Virtual for awk implementation Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
[gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Virtual for awk implementation Christoph Junghans <ottxor@g.o>