From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Autobuilds go to /experimental and to /releases only when someone actually tests them
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 10:35:42
1 On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 6:05 AM, Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o> wrote:
2 > Some time ago I was also thinking about writing a test framework for
3 > testing live images through kvm.
4 > Of course I didn't manage to find time to try to arrange something in
5 > the end, but the idea is still popping up in my mind every now and
6 > then.
7
8 Feel free to adapt:
9 https://github.com/rich0/rich0-gentoo-bootstrap
10
11 FYI - I plan to update it slightly today - I'm actually running 4
12 builds right now, eliminating some config-file cruft that is left over
13 from earlier failures, and adding a little more due to a new one.
14
15 More often than not I run into a little surprise every time I run it,
16 either due to regressions, or due to the stage3 being so old that half
17 the system needs to be updated. Newer stage3s would certainly help.
18 So, if we add a QA step to stage3 publication we should try to keep up
19 the pace, otherwise we'll create just as many problems for new users
20 having to use old stage3s as we'll solve.
21
22 Those scripts could benefit from re-factoring (oh, and it wouldn't
23 hurt for me to credit Dowd and Associates again who created them).
24 Some thoughts:
25 1. I added the plugin framework but never moved some of the default
26 packages into a plugin. That would be an easy improvement to improve
27 utility.
28 2. All of the EC2 logic itself could be moved into appropriate
29 functions, and then the script could be made configurable for EC2 vs
30 KVM vs whatever. The bootstrap logic itself would work fine in an
31 architecture once /mnt/gentoo is setup.
32
33 I wouldn't necessarily mind volunteering to keep up with it, but if
34 I'm going to be running these weekly I'll probably ask for
35 reimbursement for EC2 expenses (I use spot instances so it isn't too
36 much, but all that CPU still adds up as well as storage costs while
37 I'm debugging things). If we're willing to pay for the storage
38 (fairly nominal) I could also work on publishing a list of up-to-date
39 EC2 images (they're a byproduct of this stuff anyway so I just need to
40 publish them when they work).
41
42 Rich