From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reviving the Sandbox project
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 22:05:26
1 On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 5:51 PM, R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 2:56 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 > > [1]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Sandbox
7 > I think I understand, in principle, why a sandbox could be useful, but
8 > would it not be more productive to follow up with projects which do
9 > unexpected things to ask that they not do those things?
12 So step one is figuring out what those things are. So the LD_PRELOAD
13 sandbox isn't designed to be a "security boundary" (its trivially
14 defeat-able[1]). Instead its designed to be a fairly straightforward
15 detector of 'anomalous' behavior. It works by intercepting file-operations
16 and comparing them against a whitelist.
17
18 You can't tell people do stop doing unexpected things if you don't know
19 their software is doing unexpected things.
20
21 [1] So defeatable in fact that ebuilds have an API to modify the boundaries
22 of the sandbox and even if the enforcement was stronger (e.g. via
23 seccomp-bpf) there is still the idea that ebuilds can rather arbitrarily
24 alter the sandbox boundaries...so nothing really prevents application code
25 from also altering the boundaries in the current design; I suspect fixing
26 this would be fairly tricky without some major changes.
27
28 -A
31 > In the sense that Portage can in its entirely be isolated in various
32 > ways (user groups, containers, virtual machines, etc) I am not sure
33 > adding another layer is the most expedient option, especially if it is
34 > hard to maintain.
35 >
36 > I once saw Java developers talking about introducing changes to an
37 > enterprise program by not modifying the source, but keeping the source
38 > as is, and then maintaining a set of reflection-based patches that
39 > would modify the program after it was loaded but before it was run.
40 > This did not make sense to me, and it seems a lot like what is being
41 > done with the sandbox.
42 >
43 > In some cases that can make sense, I suppose. I am not a very smart
44 > man, so I would not know the necessary burden of proof.
45 >
46 > Respectfully,
47 > R0b0t1