From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] OpenAL/freealut in portage
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 13:11:08
1 As many of you might have noticed, the old openal CVS snapshots have
2 been replaced with upstream's official openal-0.0.8 release. The only
3 problem is that the alut stuff that was in openal (under Linux only) has
4 been split out into a new package. Because of this, some packages
5 require some work before they can be moved to using the new split
6 openal/freealut packages. I have unmasked openal-0.0.8 and freealut,
7 but the current "best version" in stable is still 20050504-r1, which has
8 the integrated alut.
9
10 Why am I telling you all of this?
11
12 Simple. I am trying to get every package in the tree to actually work
13 with the newer (0.0.8) openal, so I can remove the old CVS snapshots.
14 If you're willing to help (this means patches), then feel free to mask
15 >=media-libs/openal-200* locally and start merging packages that depend
16 on openal. A common problem you will see is this:
17
18 AL/alut.h: No such file or directory
19
20 This, of course, means that the package expects to use alut, so the
21 simplest solution is to try to add media-libs/freealut to DEPEND and
22 merge again. In some cases, this will work. Otherwise, a patch will
23 still be needed to get the package to work with the split
24 openal/freealut ebuilds. Please file bugs, with the patches, and make
25 sure that they block bug #132826, which is my tracker bug for these
26 issues. Please refrain from filing bugs on things that are broken
27 without a patch, as I have a list of the packages that depend on openal
28 already and am going through them one by one, so a bug report in this
29 case isn't beneficial without patches to resolve the problem.
30
31 Thanks,
34 Chris Gianelloni
35 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead