From: "Robin H.Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] USE flags again (informix, memlimit)
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 09:14:47
1 I've almost completed the new PHP eclasses for mod_php and CLI php.
2 I just wanted to discuss a possible new global USE flag.
3
4 informix - Provides support for IBM Informix server
5
6 This would compliment the current 'oci8' for Oracle.
7 Once we also get other packages for informix, then will greatly increase
8 our appeal to the enterprise market :-).
9
10 Previously, Tal (coredumb) made enquries about the a memlimit flag on
11 -core. (Subject: '[gentoo-core] Memory limit useflag' Date: 23? Apr).
12 Nobody at all responded to the message, so I'm going to just repeat the
13 just of it here.
14
15 This was originally in response to bug #18890. PHP supports a memory
16 limit option that puts some memory usage limits into place (similar to
17 ulimit).
18
19 We want to push this to a USE flag as it does cause a visible
20 performance hit for the increase in security it provides.
21
22 From a little research on Google, it seems that both TeX and PostGres
23 support memory limit stuff to some degree (I did not dig much beyond the
24 first page linked off google).
25
26 Any comments about it? Notes that other packages support a memory limit
27 would be helpful too.
28
29 Given the utter lack of response to Tal's previous email to -core, if I
30 don't get any answer on these by saturday, I'll look at including them
31 myself as they are needed for the new PHP ebuilds.
34 Robin Hugh Johnson
35 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
36 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
37 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
38 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85