From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unmerging and CONFIG_PROTECT
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:54:59
1 On Saturday 28 February 2004 03:03, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
2 > maillog: 28/02/2004-09:22:09(+0900): Jason Stubbs types
3 >
4 > > Basically, I'm suggesting that config files that have never been changed
5 > > be removed as they will be restored upon reinstallation. Anything that
6 > > has changed shouldn't be removed and anything that was added since
7 > > installation won't be tracked anyway.
8 >
9 > Currently, when a new merge would overwrite a CONFIG_PROTECTed file, it
10 > creates a file named ._cfg????_originalfile if the file has been changed.
11 >
12 > What if something similar is made when unmerging packages? Unmerging a
13 > CONFIG_PROTECTed file that has not been changed removes the file right
14 > away. If it was changed, an empty ._cfg????_file is created, with some way
15 > to distinguish that it is supposed to express deletion (setting the sticky
16 > bit for example). etc-update can be used to delete the file later, after it
17 > is updated to recognize empty sticky files as a pointer to delete the
18 > original file.
19
20 I've been reading this thread with interest, as I have a similar design
21 decision to make for the webapp-config code.
22
23 I agree with Jason - a config file that hasn't been modified shouldn't be
24 config-protected. No information is lost when the file is removed, and if a
25 Gentoo user has edited the file, it'll get picked up because of the change in
26 timestamp and md5sum.
27
28 webapp-config has an added safeguard that I haven't found in the Portage code.
29 When webapp-config is doing an upgrade, it looks at the contents file for the
30 OLD version to see whether a file is config-protected or not. (We don't do
31 directory-wide config-protection - it's not practical for us) Time, and user
32 experience :-) will tell whether this approach works well or not.
33
34 Best regards,
35 Stu
36 --
37 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
38 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
39 Beta packages for download http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/packages/
40 It's time for the cruise ;-) http://www.phparch.com/cruise/
41
42 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
43 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list