From: Tobias Heinlein <keytoaster@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Gentoo Phoenix] recruitment process
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 01:34:12
1 I'd first like to extend the idea of bug #312977. It's basically about a
2 different level of detail for each question.
3
4 I think the quiz questions can be divided into different groups:
5
6 1) Questions that are fun to answer. People should either already know
7 the answer, know where to look, or be willing to figure the answers out
8 themselves without a hint to specific docs.
9
10 2) Questions about stuff that people NEED to know for day-to-day
11 development, but that aren't much fun to answer. Petteri's proposed
12 level of detail would be appropriate here.
13
14 3) Questions that aren't that important at all and would just be "nice
15 to know". These are the ones that make people give up on the quizzes
16 because they are boring and the answers hard to find. Most people would
17 like to see this kind of questions dropped entirely, but recruiter's
18 point is that people should know about them, even though they aren't
19 fun. This is why for these I'd add a more exact pointer to the docs,
20 similar to the way we do in the interviews when a recruit doesn't know
21 an answer. This way they won't be demotivated because they won't have to
22 search for too long, yet know the answer and remember it when they need
23 it someday.
24
25 Examples for these:
26
27 5. What is the Gentoo Foundation? How does one apply for membership and
28 who are eligible?
29 [Gentoo Foundation Bylaws, "Members"]
30
31 5. What is wrong with using $(somecommand) or `somecommand` or $ARCH
32 inside SRC_URI, DEPEND, etc?
33 [Devmanual, Caching]
36 I think this is a good starting point to get rid of the "some important
37 questions are too hard to answer" dilemma that can be implemented
38 relatively fast. On top of that I like Sebastian's idea to order the
39 quizzes by difficulty -- this means just ordering by the categories I
40 just mentioned would be sufficient: 1 first, then 2, then 3.
41
42 As soon as we have implemented that, we can think about how to make the
43 ebuild-related questions more interesting by using tasks and example
44 ebuilds. I guess this part will take a longer time.
45