From: Justin <jlec@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: PROPERTIES=funky-slots
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:15:09
1 On 23.06.2012 15:21, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > There's been a move towards using slots for "clever" things that don't
3 > fit the traditional way of how slots worked. Examples include the new
4 > gtk2 / gtk3 handling and Ruby gems virtuals.
5 >
6 > Aside from being abusive, this screws things up for Paludis users.
7 > Paludis tends to bring in newer versions when possible (so that users
8 > aren't stuck with an old GCC forever), and allows the user to select
9 > when new slots are brought in. When suddenly a few packages are using
10 > slots and versions to "mean" something other than what they used to,
11 > this makes the feature unusable.
12 >
13 > Thus, as a quick workaround, I'd like to suggest adding a PROPERTIES
14 > value called "funky-slots", which should be set on every version of any
15 > package that uses slots in an unconventional manner. This probably
16 > doesn't need EAPI control, since package manglers are free to ignore
17 > PROPERTIES tokens. It won't solve the abuse, but it will allow the
18 > impact upon users to be lessened.
21 Did you read what you wrote and thought about what you request from
22 others? Probably you better should.
23
24 I can't see any good and more importantly, sufficient description of the
25 problem. There is some vague hint, that paludis is not able to solve
26 dependency chains correctly, but this is something I might got wrong
27 from your mail.
28
29 An example:
30
31 "...slots and versions to "mean" something other than what they used to,..."
32
33 is completely useless without a description of what SLOTS are about and
34 how the should be used. And what is the wrong usage you can find;
35 examples are necessary here for understanding.
38 And your approach (a workaround called "funky-slots") to tackle this
39 what-ever-the-problem-really is, doesn't fit to anything you want from
40 others.
41 To me, it doesn't solve the root cause, but actually I can't judge this,
42 because I am missing a description of what is really going wrong.
45 Don't behave in a way, which you disallow for others.
46
47 justin