From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] Keywords policy
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 01:22:07
1 Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On 3/10/08, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Jeroen Roovers wrote:
4 >> > On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:26:19 +0100
5 >> > "Wulf C. Krueger" <philantrop@g.o> wrote:
6 >> >
7 >> >> No, we didn't because the whole thing is p.masked for a reason. It,
8 >> >> KDE 4.0.1, is broken crap that should not yet be re-keyworded.
9 >> >
10 >> > OK then. and I am not going to cross-post this to -dev@, btw: why the
11 >> > hell did you decide to put broken crap in the tree? It should never have
12 >> > left your repository, it seems.
13 >>
14 >> It's package masked and unkeyworded, which is a big hint that it's under
15 >> development.
16 >
17 > So Jer should just implicitly know not to keyword it? Why not make it
18 > explicit? That is all I am really asking for here.
19
20 How much more explicit can you make it than dropping every arch's keywords and
21 putting it in package mask? The problem here is that Jeroen decided that this
22 was a violation of the keyword policy and blindly added his keywords back. Fair
23 enough, everyone makes a mistake from time to time. But after more than a few
24 people have tried to explain why this was a mistake, he still refuses to admit
25 it and claims the keywords were dropped illegally. I'm just pointing out that
26 this is not the case, and never has been. If a maintainer package masks an
27 ebuild, you don't mess with it without talking to them. This is coming straight
28 from the handbook.
29
30 >> > If you still wonder why I started rekeywording for HPPA, then let this
31 >> > be the final answer. It was no fault of mine - I did it on purpose. No
32 >> > keywording error - I was going to finish all the dependencies if you
33 >> > hadn't asked me not to (because by then you were claiming KDE team
34 >> > "reserves" the "right" to drop keywords at will and without notifying
35 >> > arch teams, as opposed to current policy. The repoman bug / missing
36 >> > feature left a few stones unturned, sadly, but I was going to do all of
37 >> > KDE 4.
38 >>
39 >> You're still not getting this. The KDE team did not _want_ these ebuilds
40 >> keyworded. That's why they _weren't_ keyworded. That's why there was no bug
41 >> filed, saying "hey we dropped these keywords" because they _did not want_ you to
42 >> add them back yet. When the ebuilds were of sufficient quality that they could
43 >> be tested, then a bug is filed, the ebuilds are tested, and then re-keyworded.
44 >
45 > Right, but you did not make your want known, so how is Jer to know?
46
47 >> Maintainers have every right to drop keywords if they think changes to their
48 >> package are drastic enough to require re-evaluation by an architecture team.
49 >> It's how we keep big fat calamity from befalling our users. Yes, they need to
50 >> inform the arch teams to re-add their keywords. No that request does not need
51 >> to come immediately if they're not ready for it.
52 >>
53 >> A simple rule to go by: Dropped keywords on package.masked packages are not
54 >> dropped keywords. If that package comes out of package.mask and still lacks
55 >> your keyword and no bug is filed, then yes, then you have a legitimate beef.
56 >>
57 >> This is simply the way things work from my point of view as a maintainer and a
58 >> arch dev for a oft keyword-dropped arch.
59 >
60 > RIght but if everyone is not following the same rules you
61 > get...well...this exact situation. The whole point of this discussion
62 > is not to assign blame, it is to figure out what we should change so
63 > this doesn't happen again as it obviously upset lots of folks.
64
65 As far as I know this is policy. It has worked so far, but if something needs
66 to change then so be it.
70 fonts, gcc-porting, by design, by neglect
71 mips, treecleaner, for a fact or just for effect
72 wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662