From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Packages up for grabs
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2016 17:42:01
1 On 06/03/2016 12:02 PM, Justin Bronder wrote:
2 > On 02/06/16 10:42 -0500, james wrote:
3 >> On 06/01/2016 06:20 PM, Justin Bronder wrote:
4 >> > Due to a lack of time and the fact I don't use any of these packages
5 >> > anymore, they are all up for grabs.
6 >> >
7 >> > - media-gfx/openmesh [no project]
8 >> > - sys-cluster/ganglia [cluster]
9 >> > - sys-cluster/ganglia-web [cluster]
10 >> > - sys-cluster/torque [cluster]
11 >> > - sys-cluster/munge [cluster] dependency of sys-cluster/torque
12 >> > - sys-cluster/mpe2 [cluster]
13 >> >
14 >> > Also, if there's anyone out there using the science overlay and empi
15 >> > who's feeling motivated, that work still needs a champion to get it
16 >> > into the main tree. If not, I'll probably drop it in a few months
17 >> > and open openmpi and mpich2 to project maintenance as well. I
18 >> > haven't been involved in HPC for over a decade now, it's time to
19 >> > pass the torch.
22 >> Hello Justin,
23 >>
24 >> I've been working on cluster ebuilds for a while (Apache Mesos, spark,
25 >> etc). I'm willing to proxy maintain these except torque. Assuming there
26 >> are no users of torque on gentoo (bgo seems inactive...it's dead; how
27 >> would I know?).
28 >
29 > Looks like Ian got torque already, but he may appreciate some help. For the
30 > other packages, I'm more then happy to proxy maintain them for you. Just send
31 > any patches my way (including a first one to add you as a maintainer :)
32
33 OK will do and thanks for the help/sponsorship on these packages.
36 >> My focus is building gentoo centric HPC clusters that do not require
37 >> systemd as a component, with deployment emphasis on bare-metal and
38 >> minimized gentoo systems where only the codes absolutely necessary to
39 >> support the necessary frameworks are dynamically installed. Many of the
40 >> 'retro' tools in this cluster space, are quite useful for my work.
41 >>
42 >> The guidexml page for empi is old, so where do I read up on it's
43 >> projected usage (just not familiar with that empi project/package).
44 >
45 > The empi documentation did get moved over to the wiki [1]. However, it's pretty
46 > much the exact same thing you're seeing in the guidexml page. I know there were
47 > some HPC sites using it in the past, but I haven't heard from anyone lately.
48 > That could mean no one is using it, or that everything is working as expected.
49 >
50 > 1. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Empi
51
52 I'll survey and work on the others (checking bgo) and elsewhere for
53 issues first. Then I'll poke around on empi an see what's up.
54
55 Netflix has posted a neat little (debian) cluster and running their
56 framework on arm (rasp. pi) using apache mesos::
57
58 http://ispyker.blogspot.com/2016/05/services-with-netflix-titus-and.html
59
60 My (ultimate) goal is pretty similar, just using gentoo in lieu of
61 debian; so if you run across any other relevant codes, drop me a line.
64 Thanks again,
65 James