From: "Santiago M. Mola" <coldwind@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council Reminder for August 7
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 19:52:03
1 On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 1:06 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Stephen Bennett <spbennett@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>> If you have something you'd wish for us to chat about, maybe even vote
4 >>> on, let us know! Simply reply to this e-mail for the whole Gentoo dev
5 >>> list to see.
6 >>
7 >> I would like to put forward the following suggestion for the Council's
8 >> consideration:
9 >>
10 >> "While the current state of PMS is not perfect, it is a reasonably
11 >> close approximation to existing and historical behaviour of EAPI 0.
12 >> Given this, and that getting a perfect definition is not feasible on a
13 >> timescale shorter than several years, it should be treated as a draft
14 >> standard, and any deviations from it found in the gentoo tree or
15 >> package managers should have a bug filed against either the deviator
16 >> or PMS to resolve the differences.
17 >
18 > [...]
19 >
20 > Is there some reason why this needs to be stated explicity (eg. are
21 > you having difficulty getting things fixed in the tree?)
24 Currently it can't be referenced from other official documentation.
25 There's already one GLEP which had to get references to PMS removed
26 because of this. And it will become a bigger problem when we have more
27 EAPIs and we can't rely on any spec except short summaries posted to
28 @dev-announce.
29
30 Regards,
31 --