From: "Luis F. Araujo" <araujo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] crap use flags in the profiles
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:34:48
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 >On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 00:28 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
6 >>- base doesnt define any USE
7 >>- default-linux defines a few local xorg USE (because no one has given us the
8 >>ability to control default USE via IUSE yet :P)
9 >>
10 >>{x86,amd64}/make.defaults has the 'bloated' USE because every single sub x86
11 >>and amd64 profile had the same USE in them ... if you want to re-push them
12 >>into subprofiles like 200[45].[01], that's fine by me ... will have to check
13 >>with wolf/releng so they dont revert it :P
18 >We've actually been talking about making the profiles more like this,
19 >but really need to weigh the additional work required to validate them
20 >before we go deciding that we're going to start adding profiles for
21 >specific uses. I tend to believe that if we start adding them, we'll
22 >soon be bombarded with "I want a $x profile because I don't like this
23 >one USE flag" kind of bugs. It's much easier to say "this is our
24 >defaults, change them as you like" than it is to provide multiple sets
25 >of "defaults" all of which are completely arbitrary.
29 That's for sure that will happen. I also agree with keeping a default
30 and letting the users build their own profiles out of it.
31 --
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list