From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 55
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:36:45
1 Joe Peterson wrote:
2 >
3 > No, I have not profiled PMs to try this, but you are saying that reading
4 > the first few lines of a file is not faster than sourcing the whole
5 > thing with bash? Remember that it could abort the minute it sees a non
6 > '#' or blank line, which would be after the first few.
9 Actually, if you specified that the EAPI goes on the first line, then
10 you'd only need to read the first line.
11
12 And to the extent that the rest got read into memory anyway by the
13 kernel, well then it is already in the cache when whatever mechanism is
14 invoked to parse the rest of the file.
15
16 I don't think that filename-vs-first-line is going to make a big
17 difference in practical performance. Any time lost in determining EAPI
18 would be time saved in parsing the file. And even though you could
19 ignore unknown EAPIs, I think that in a typical case users would be
20 using an up-to-date package manager that would just end up parsing
21 everything all the time anyway.
22 --
23 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list