From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: lafou@×××××××.fr
Cc: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Kernel 2.4.20
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 18:19:18
1 On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 10:08, Philippe Lafoucrière wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > The stable kernel in portage is currently 2.4.20-r5, but the current
5 > "stable" kernel is 2.4.21. And if you look a this :
6 >
7 > http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/330888
8 >
9 > There is an exploit in kernels < 2.4.21. We definitely should upgrade
10 > our kernel version.
11
12 Simply emerge vanilla-sources, pfeifer-sources, gs-sources, or any
13 number of other non-2.4.20 sources in portage.
14
15 The problem with 2.4.20 is only in netfilter code which isn't required.
16 We are aware of the bug in the 2.4.20 kernel and are diligently working
17 on a solution. There is currently a "beta" gentoo-sources, by the way
18 of pfeifer-sources, available. Unfortunately, the gentoo-sources is a
19 VERY complex beast consisting of multiple patches which all have to be
20 ported to a new kernel version and regression tested to ensure there is
21 no breakage. If you are concerned about the security of your system,
22 you should use a kernel other than gentoo-sources on any
23 Internet-accessible machines or not enable this feature of the netfilter
24 code.
27 Chris Gianelloni
28 Developer, Gentoo Linux