From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ssuominen@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] systemd.eclass: Patch for new function systemd_get_udevdir()
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 11:44:57
1 On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 6:20 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Most importantly, this allows us to easily find out which packages
3 > install such files and perform global operations on them. For example,
4 > if a particular user had systemd locations in INSTALL_MASK and changed
5 > his mind, he can easily update his system by rebuilding all packages
6 > inheriting systemd.eclass.
7 >
8 > If all packages installing udev rules start inheriting it, the above
9 > will no longer be correct. Also, the opposite way -- rebuilding
10 > packages installing udev rules -- won't be that easy.
11
12 This seems like a bit of overloading. Right now we really lack a good
13 way to figure out what packages COULD install files in a given place -
14 we can only figure out which ones have installed files in that
15 location on our own systems.
16
17 If we really want that capability then I think the solution is to
18 design it thoughtfully. Sure, some detective work with eclass
19 inheritance might give us clues, but I wouldn't let it be a big driver
20 behind how we use and design eclasses. That said, there might be
21 other valid reasons for keeping udev and systemd separate
22 eclass-wise...
23
24 Rich