From: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New go.gentoo.org url shortener
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2021 04:52:16
1 On 12/8/20 3:55 PM, Max Magorsch wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > the tl;dr is that I've set up a new url shortener which is available
5 > on https://go.gentoo.org/ currently. It can generate short links like
6 > 'go.gentoo.org/XXX' or you can create custom persistent links like
7 > 'go.gentoo.org/arzano/tyrian' or 'go.gentoo.org/infra/hashicorp'.
8 > Basically, I'm looking for some quick feedback whether you consider
9 > this as useful or don't think you would use it much, to decide whether
10 > it's worth offering this service.
11 >
12 > As mentioned the url-shortener is deployed on https://go.gentoo.org
13 > currently. The source code is available at [0]. It's only accessible
14 > by Gentoo developers using Gentoo SSO for the authentication. You can
15 > log in using your nickname and your ldap password. Basically two use
16 > cases are supported:
17 >
18 > 1) Just paste a link and get an automatically shortened url like
19 > 'go.gentoo.org/XXX'. This is pretty much the normal url shortener
20 > functionality.
21 >
22 > 2) You can paste a link and create a custom persistent link using a
23 > prefix like 'go.gentoo.org/$prefix/$custom'. Allowed prefixes are the
24 > nickname of the developer that is logged in or a project the developer
25 > is part of. Thus I for one could create links like
26 > 'go.gentoo.org/arzano/tyrian' or 'go.gentoo.org/infra/hashicorp'.
27 > However, I would e.g. not be able to create
28 > 'go.gentoo.org/qa/policy-guide' as I am not part of the qa project.
29 > Only members of the QA team could create that link. That's also the
30 > reason I've been coming up with this, as this way every developer /
31 > every project would be able to create custom persistent, nice / short
32 > links.
33 >
34 > However, please note that this is just a first beta version yet and
35 > it's not meant to be production-ready yet. Please feel free to test it
36 > though. In general, I'm looking for some feedback on whether you would
37 > be interested in the two functionalities to get a feeling whether it's
38 > worth spending time on this / offering this service at all.
39 > Also I would be especially interested whether you consider the second
40 > functionality as useful. Because if we just want the first
41 > functionality, we can simplify this and just use any of the
42 > url-shorteners that are already out there, instead of using the
43 > solution I have built.
44 >
45 > /M
46 >
47 > [0] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/sites/go-gentoo.git/
48 >
49 Hi,
50
51 well my first impressions are that there are few major issues why I
52 wouldn't use this:
53  - for an URL shortener the final URL isn't really that short (there are
54 multiple alternatives),
55  - not a CLI tool to handle this (yet at least),
56  - login would be REQUIRED so people won't spread malicious links with
57 "gentoo.org" in it, or at least the accounts can be disabled.
58
59 Although I do like the idea of team-specific links, in the end I fear
60 there'd be many dead links and no one to clean/check those. So in the
61 documents we're better at referring to the original source.
62
63 -- juippis

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature