From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] einfo / ewarn banners and die messages
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:58:09
1 On Saturday 13 November 2004 15:43, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
2 > maillog: 13/11/2004-05:44:49(-0600): Matthew Kenendy types
3 >
4 > > Perhaps doins should take a --strict argument, whose absence will be
5 > > compatible with what I do now and whose presence will be appreciated
6 > > by those developers forgetting to install init.d run scripts etc.
7 >
8 > "--strict" v.s. "|| die"
9 >
10 > If this is the case, I'd say "|| die" is the more intuitive. Devs who
11 > forget will not appreciate --strict, because it doesn't make much of a
12 > difference if they had to add --strict or append "|| die".
13 >
14 > do* et al, should either always die, or be left as they are.
15 >
16 > In fact, a "--relaxed" option to those functions makes more sense.
17
18 I agree, even when files might be missing I surely want the packagers to
19 know that. I've had some times when a new upstream tarbal did not contain
20 a file anymore, while I was still installing it. If the do* functions had
21 just died as to be expected, I would have caught the bug. Relying on
22 developers never forgetting ||die is not a smart way to handle it.
23
24 Paul
27 Paul de Vrieze
28 Gentoo Developer