From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] use.force support
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:54:10
1 On Tuesday 14 June 2005 19:46, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > It seems like this is an abuse of USE flags, somewhat. I guess programs
3 > could have support for elibc_X or elibc_Y or userland_GNU or
4 > userland_DARWIN/BSD but why a USE flag for these?
5 Because sometimes we must disable some dependency depending on the libc or the
6 userland or the kernel used.
7
8 > There isn't a use flag for kernel version, there is a
9 > function for that. Why is there not a function to determine
10 > userland/arch/libc?
11 Actually there's a variable for them but as said above, variables aren't
12 allowed to change the deps. And there are quite a few dependencies which are
13 needed just on some systems.
14 Another thing is use_enable and use_with functions, takes for example kdelibs
15 ebuild which has a $(use_enable kernel_Linux dnotify) as dnotify support is
16 only for Linux kernels.
17
18 It's true that the forced flags shouldn't show up on emerge -pv output (at
19 least for base ones, other which can be optional on some arch and forced on
20 others can always show up, take for example nopie/nossp which are going to be
21 forced on Gentoo/FreeBSD (I actually was working on a similar use.force file
22 before so I already have this done locally).
25 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
26 Gentoo Developer (Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Gentoo/AMD64)
27
28 http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/