From: "Malte S. Stretz" <msquadrat.nospamplease@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Proposing two new USE flags: qmail and smime
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 23:01:33
1 Hi folks,
2
3 heh, my first post to this list :) I'm no Gentoo dev but from time to time I
4 look after some ebuilds I'm interested in. And while I was walking through
5 Bugzilla I noticed two of them for which new USE flags might come in handy.
6
7 I don't know what's the correct way to go, don't know how the flags (even
8 the private ones) are handled. Both flags sound like they might come in
9 handy for other ebuilds, too.
12 The flags I'd like to propose are:
13
14 -> "qmail" for dev-perl/Mail-SpamAssassin.
15 rationale: SpamAssassin offers a tool called qmail-spamc which is built
16 optionally as nobody without qmail really needs it. It's very lightweight
17 but I don't think that's a reason to build (and install) it for everybody.
18
19 So a "qmail" USE flag should be the way to go here. And I guess there are
20 other packages out there which offer optional qmail features, too.
21
22 -> "smime" for app-crypt/gpgme
23 rationale: GpgME can optionally built with S/MIME support. To do this it
24 just needs to have app-crypt/newpg installed. It seems like GpgME is
25 currently more or less unmaintained but maybe there's a chance to get this
26 into there anyway :)
27
28 There are most probably quite some other apps (especially MUAs) with
29 optional S/MIME support.
33 Cheers,
34 Malte
37 [SGT] Simon G. Tatham: "How to Report Bugs Effectively"
38 <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html>
39 [ESR] Eric S. Raymond: "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way"
40 <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list