From: Vitaly Kushneriuk <vitaly_kushneriuk@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bugs Bugs Bugs & Unstablity
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 02:16:16
1 On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 01:53, Doug Goldstein wrote:
2 > All I ever hear or read about is people complaining about bugs or
3 > stability issues or an ebuild problem. Granted I'm not complaining about
4 > this, this is good... we need to know this. But there is one thing
5 > missing... I go to http://bugs.gentoo.org and sort through the bugs and
6 > there are hardly any bug reports for the problems people say.
7 >
8 > Here's a couple things I'd like to see our users do as far as bugs
9 > 1) Fill out bug reports @ http://bugs.gentoo.org
10 > 2) Provide us with all the necessary details... for example... if you
11 > just tell me that libfoo's latest ebuild doesn't compile for you. That
12 > is definetly not enough detail. Provide the FULL version including our
13 > ebuild revision, such as libfoo-1.0.1-r1.ebuild is what we'd like to see.
14 > 3) You NEED to tell us which version compiler you are using.
15 > 4) You need to tell us your USE flags and your CFLAGS
16 > 5) Provide us with a copy and paste of the exact error message.
17 > 6) Any other data you feel might be revelant.
18 >
19 > If you do all that more bugs will be fixed and they will hopefully be
20 > fixed faster.
21 >
22 > And if the person who sent me the patch against the latest version of
23 > pcmcia-cs over IRC in a /query while I was gone is here.... please fill
24 > out a bug report and lemme know what it fixes and include it. My battery
25 > on the laptop ran out while I was gone.
26 >
27 > In conclusion, you need to submit your bugs and concerns in a reliable
28 > fashion so that they can be properly addressed... the only way to do
29 > that is to fill out a bug report.
30 >
31 > --
32 > Doug Goldstein
33 > Developer (Laptops, WiFi, GCC-3.1)
34 > Gentoo Linux http://www.gentoo.org/~cardoe/
35
36 Writing report wizard that will collect needed information and submit
37 it to the bugzilla might help ;-).