From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New ideas, USE database, sandbox & more
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 10:28:28
1 On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 10:01:47PM +0800, Joshua Pierre wrote:
2
3 > This would be really cool, I imagine it would be hard to add to portage.
4 > (Comments drobbins?)
5
6 "emerge gcc" would be easy to add. Not a priority for me atm. Is it really
7 so hard to type "emerge sys-devel/gcc"?
8 >
9 > > 5)Compile and install logs should be stored for future inspection.
10 > > Should be realy simple to implement. Just redirect sub shell to
11 > > "| tee <logfilename>. Or even "> logfilename" if emerge called with
12 > > --silent flag.
13 >
14 > Again, this would be really good for backtracking failed builds.
15
16 There is a command called "script" that can be used to log everything that
17 happens on the console. This logging issue comes up periodically, and
18 personally, I think it's easier to use our already existing command. Type "man
19 script". Basically, "script" gives you a new shell where everything is logged
20 to a typescript file. When you exit the new shell, scripting is turned off.
21 The disadvantage of this approach is that scripting does not happen on a
22 per-package basis. But I haven't seen any Gentoo Linux developers actually
23 requesting enhanced logging capabilities. So again, not a high priority.
24
25 Best Regards,
28 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
29 Chief Architect/President http://www.gentoo.org