From: Stewart Honsberger <blkdeath@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] proposal: make gentoo-core publicly read-only
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:42:41
1 Daniel Armyr wrote:
2
3 >Yeah, and if I want to know how my government makes descisions on how
4 >my life is un I can allways become a high-ranking politician. At this
5 >point in time, Gentoo simply does not have an open culture, but a closed
6 >one. I am fore an read-only core, but when reading this thread I have a
7 >nagging suspicion that this is pointless. The Gentoo devs want to have an
8 >ivory tower, and ivory towers can not be scaled. The only way to change
9 >is for the inhabitants to come out freely.
10
11 I think you're making way more out of this than neccesary. There is no
12 ivory tower here, there is no elitism amongst Gentoo developers. BTW -
13 your analogy is flawed. Speaking as someone who just completed the
14 process no more than 72 hours ago; becomming a Gentoo developer is
15 nothing like becomming a politician letalone a "high-ranking politician".
16
17 The fact of the matter is - developers need a place to hash out ideas
18 without every user, developer-in-training, or casual on-looker jumping
19 all over them and micromanaging.
20
21 Don't take this the wrong way, I'm pretty well on the fence about the
22 issue myself. On one hand, I enjoy the notion that the developers have
23 nothing to hide and go out of their way to show it. On the other hand, I
24 believe the developers need a forum where they can discuss ideas that
25 might never see the light of day. discuss asinine details, etc.
26
27 You also have to remember that if the developers really want to have
28 private discussions, they will. If they feel they can't talk openly on
29 -core they'll form a new list.
30
31 >>And I might be going out on a limb here, but I'm pretty sure that many
32 >>other non-profit Linux distributions have non-open lists. In fact, I
33 >>would be very surprised if any Linux distributions don't.
34 >
35 > And since then was that an excuse? I thought Gentoo wanted to be better than
36 > other distros.
37
38 That's pretty subjective. Is it really that much "better" to discuss
39 everything out in the open? Is there such a thing as too much openness?
42 Stewart Honsberger
43 Gentoo Developer
44 http://www.snerk.org/
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list