From: Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: sh versionator.eclass
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 22:49:41
1 Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 07-10-2007 10:19:43 -0600, Joe Peterson wrote:
3 >> So there are a couple of options, as I see it:
4 >>
5 >> 1) Limit tool options to those that are common to all tool variants
6 >> 2) Port a standard (i.e. GNU) set of tools to all platforms
7 >> 3) Force all gentoo ports to use GNU userland
8 >>
9 >> I think we'd all agree that #3 is too restrictive. For example, g/fbsd
10 >> uses BSD's userland (like vanilla FreeBSD does), and making it GNU would
11 >> be a pretty major change.
12 >
13 > No, it is not. The problem IMHO is in the "user" userland and the
14 > "portage" userland are being seen as one. I think it would be very easy
15 > to install all GNU equivalents of tools on BSD in some separate dir, put
16 > it in portage's DEFAULT_PATH before /bin and /usr/bin and all would work
17 > perfectly well from the ebuild/eclass perspective.
18
19 Yep, that's option #2, and I think that could work - a subset of
20 commands in their GNU variants used by portage. It means formalizing
21 the official set of tools allowed for use in ebuilds (I'm not sure if
22 the dev guide really codifies this or not, even though it gives a list
23 of such tools).
24
25 What I meant above is that #3, which would be changing all of userland
26 itself to GNU, would be major and undesirable. Having the option of a
27 complete GNU userland would be an interesting option/project, but it's a
28 good thing to have the flexibility to have any userland desired, as long
29 as portage has a way of being consistent (i.e. via something like #2).
30
31 -Joe
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list