From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] XFCE package names
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:41:47
1 On Saturday 24 January 2004 17:37, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
2 > Attached is a recent test i did on subversion regarding exactly this, the
3 > the size of the repository I came to the same conclusion as you (the db is
4 > big) in this case 161MB for a raw import of portage versus CVS's 70MB.
5 >
6 > However this is due to the Berkley DB leaving behind a lot of log files
7 > which in all normal use are usless and can be safely deleted. (these are
8 > not the commit-diffs)
9 >
10 > After i deleted these unused log-files the previously 161MB subversion
11 > repository of portage took 49MB or more then threefold reduction in size
12 > without any loss of version info or files.
13 > More info can be found in the subversion manual at ->
14 > project_faq.html#bdblogs which deals specifically with why the repository
15 > gets so big.
16 >
17 > The subversion admin can regularly remove these logfiles from the
18 > repository through the use of a cron job in older versions or just leave
19 > the default log-pruning on in versions >=0.35.
20 >
21 > So not only was the statement about subversions database being bigger
22 > wrong, its quite the opposite; its smaller.
23 >
24 > > That would make
25 > > subversion dumps quite painfull. Further subversion is not really good
26 > > in such big repositories
27 >
28 > Elaborate, why does it not handle the big ones well?
31 I have not tested it in a long while. What happened was that IF I was able to
32 actually check in the whole tree into the repository checking out would both
33 take too much time and fail somewhere in the meantime on some lock or
34 out-of-memory error.
35
36 It can very well be that this has been fixed by now, but I didn't check.
37
38 Paul
41 Paul de Vrieze
42 Gentoo Developer