From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] rfc: *_iface variables in openrc network scripts
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 01:46:36
1 All,
2
3 we received a regression for openrc which prompted me to post this to
4 the list to see what everyone thinks. The bug is
5
6 http://bugs.gentoo.org/366905.
7
8 Currently, we use one variable, config_$(INTERFACE), to configure
9 the interfaces,.
10
11 In the bsd world there are no issues, because there is only one configuration
12 tool, ifconfig.
13
14 However, in the linux world, there are two, ifconfig
15 and iproute2, which have completely different command line syntax.
16 Currently, we try to keep the syntax of config_* constant, which means
17 that the scripts attempt to convert ifconfig syntax to iproute2, and
18 the other way around.
19
20 In my opinion, the best way to fix this, and the best way forward, would
21 be to stop doing this. My plan is something like this:
22
23 For the next openrc release, put in a warning that config_* is
24 deprecated and advise the use of ifconfig_* or ipconfig_* depending on
25 which interface handler is being used. Then, at some point in the
26 future, remove support for config_*.
27
28 Does anyone have any thoughts?
29