From: Michael Lang <mwlang@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] One more note on Install Instructions
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 12:13:41
1 It seems that by default, Kernel 2.4.18 is being built and yet everyone
2 seems to be advising to downgrade to 2.4.17. I personally think that as
3 you go to release 1.0, we should have instructions for building the latest
4 *stable* release of the kernel rather than grabbing the latest experimental
5 kernel (or whatever y'all call 2.4.18)...athough I am not so sure about:
6
7 ebuild /usr/portage/sys-kernel/linux-source/linux-sources-2.4.17.rc5.ebuild
8 merge
9
10 ...as a cmd to document in install instructs. Maybe a better option is to
11 roll up the first four commands from Code Listing 24 (First code listing of
12 "Installing the Kernel and Sys logger") into a script that queries the
13 directories under sys-kernel and prompts user to pick which version to ebuild.
14
15 Any thoughts?
16
17 Michael
18
19 "All things should be as simple as possible, but no simpler" -- Albert Einstein