From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item for eudev deprecation
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 12:39:08
1 On 8/22/21 5:00 PM, Joshua Kinard wrote:
2 > On 8/22/2021 16:14, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
3 >> Hi everyone,
4 >>
5 >> Yes! It is time to finally deprecate eudev! sys-fs/udev now builds
6 >> under musl! My original purpose for maintaining eudev was because
7 >> systemd + musl did not play well together when udev was absorbed into
8 >> the sytemd repo. Now thanks to patches from openembedded, they do, and
9 >> my original reason for maintaining eudev is no longer valid. So its
10 >> time to retire eudev. It has served its purpose as a stop-gap.
11 >>
12 >> To me, this is a success for musl, and I would like to thank all the
13 >> developers who have taken musl seriously enough to make this happen :)
14 >>
15 >> I am willing to transfer the eudev repo to another organization, but I
16 >> will not maintain it anymore and Base System doesn't want to either.
17 >> Let me warn people, to maintain it correctly you MUST become familiar
18 >> with its internals and watch what systemd is doing upstream to keep up.
19 >> This is not trivial. I learned a lot from eudev, and it did save musl
20 >> on gentoo, but there was a period there when it was taking up almost all
21 >> of my time. If you don't know what you're getting into, you don't want
22 >> to take on its maintenance.
23 >
24 > Which version of sys-fs/udev has the patches that allow it to replace eudev?
25 > Do these patches have any chance of being accepted by upstream?
28 From udev-249-r2 and forward. As far as upstream goes, I don't know. I
29 tried in the early days talking to people, but the "fog of politics" was
30 too thick. I can try again.
31
32 Having said that, I have assurances from people within Gentoo that they
33 will help maintain those patches. I can also reach out to the
34 openembedded people to inform them of our interest in these patches.
35
36 I think musl has reached a sufficient weight that people beyond Gentoo
37 are interested in making sure it works with linux systems. I was an
38 early adopter of it into Gentoo, like 10 years ago now. At that time,
39 plugging it into a linux distro was squeezing a square peg into a round
40 whole. This is no longer the case.
43 >> Title: eudev retirement on 2022-01-01
44 >> Author: Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o>
45 >> Posted: 2021-08-xx
46 >> Revision: 1
47 >> News-Item-Format: 2.0
48 >> Display-If-Installed: sys-fs/eudev
49 >>
50 >> sys-fs/udev is becoming the standard provider of udev on non-systemd
51 >> (e.g. OpenRC) systems. Users of systemd will continue to use the udev
52 >> services provided by the sys-apps/systemd package itself.
53 >
54 > Are there any concerns about upstream one day making udev and systemd
55 > inseparable again?
56
57 I can't address this. There are two issues: 1) making sure there is a
58 device manager for musl. 2) making sure there is a device manager which
59 is independent of systemd. My concern was the former, hence eudev. If
60 one day I have to use systemd on a musl system, so be it. If anyone is
61 concerned about the second issue, they are welcome to maintain eudev :P
62 My life circumstances have changed and I don't have the time or will.
66 >> The transition should be uneventful in most cases, but please read this
67 >> item in full to understand some possible corner cases.
68 >>
69 >> eudev will be retired and removed from Gentoo on 2022-01-01. We will
70 >> start masking eudev on 2021-10-01 and give people 3 months to prepare
71 >> their transition. You should ensure that sys-fs/eudev is not in your
72 >> world file by running
73 >>
74 >> emerge --deselect sys-fs/eudev
75 >>
76 >> in order for Portage to replace eudev with sys-fs/udev once the
77 >> package.mask is in place. We fully support udev on musl, whereas uclibc
78 >> will still have to rely on eudev before also being removed on 2022-01-01.
79 >>
80 >> **WARNING**
81 >>
82 >> If you happen to have an INSTALL_MASK with a blanket "*systemd*" glob,
83 >> you will inevitably break your system. sys-fs/udev contains "systemd" in
84 >> some of its filenames, hence a blanket filter rule will likely lead to a
85 >> non-functional udev installation.
86 >
87 > Will an INSTALL_MASK of "/usr/lib/systemd /etc/systemd" cause any issues?
88
89 I have not tested, but I think so since "systemd-" is used as a prefix
90 for files installed by sys-fs/udev.
94 > Couple of typos below:
95 >
96 >> Rationale
97 >>
98 >> The integration of udev into the systemd git repo introduced numerous
99 >> problems for none-glibc systems, such as musl and uclibc. Several
100 >
101 > s/none-glibc/non-glibc/
102 >
103 >> options were considered, and the one chosen was to fork and maintain
104 >> udev independant of the rest of systemd. This was meant as a stop-gap
105 >
106 > s/independant/independent/
107 >
108 >> solution until such time as the problems with systemd on musl had been
109 >> resolved. This is now the case with patches provided by openembedded,
110 >> and my original reason for maintaining eudev is no longer relevant.
111 >>
112 >> I am willing to transfer eudev to another umbrella organisation or Linux
113 >
114 > s/organisation/organization/
115 >
116 >> distribution that is willing to continue its maintenance, but
117 >> maintaining eudev cannot be done purely through proxy-maintaining and
118 >> requires an understanding of its internals. This is a steep learning
119 >> curve and must be an earnest effort. For this reason, the Base System
120 >
121 >> project has decided not to support euev as an option going forward.
122 >
123 > s/euev/eudev/
127 Thanks I will correct them.
131 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
132 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
133 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
134 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
135 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA