From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 14:57:27
1 On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 15:44:17 +0100 "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)"
2 <hkBst@g.o> wrote:
3 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > > i consider having a spelled out EAPI=0 spec to be quite valuable
5 > > and worth spending time on and i have to say that i get the feeling
6 > > that i'm not alone on this point
7 >
8 > I don't think anybody is trying to derail it and even if some people
9 > are, they will fail because there are too many others that care a lot
10 > about having some standard.
11
12 How many of them care enough to spend hours having to justify things to
13 people who don't even know what PMS is or what it contains?
14
15 > People are just annoyed that they have to ask for access when it has
16 > been made to look like only very few/special requests will be
17 > granted.
18
19 And how many of those people just want access because they're curious?
20 PMS is not ready for those types of people yet. It is only ready for
21 people who are going to make substantial contributions (of the order of
22 several pages, at least...). Anyone else who is asking for it is just
23 doing so because they want to meddle.
24
25 > And because it seems like some portage/pkgcore people are
26 > denied access. I think it would go a long way to preempt this
27 > discussion if the people working on PMS would state that all those
28 > people that are more or less involved with writing/maintaining a
29 > package manager for gentoo would get access on request. I think it
30 > would probably also lead to a better spec which is finished faster.
31
32 I suggest you have a look at what pkgcore people 'contributed' to GLEP
33 42 if you really believe that...
36 Ciaran McCreesh
37 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
38 Web : http://ciaranm.org/