From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] EAPI and system packages
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 00:31:08
1 (Yes, this has EAPI in the title, so that means everyone will chime in)
2
3 I'd like to clarify and (eventually) set in stone our ideas of best practices
4 when it comes to bumping EAPI for system packages. I was of the belief that
5 we had decided that system packages should remain at EAPI 0 for
6 backwards-compatibility reasons. It seems, however, that this was never
7 written down anywhere and today we find ourselves in a situation where it is
8 impossible to bootstrap a Gentoo system from a pre-EAPI-era liveCD due to all
9 python versions being EAPI 1 or later. Maybe we don't care anymore, but I'd
10 like to know what people think.
11
12 system packages* w/ EAPI != 0
13 ----------------------------
14 app-shells/bash (EAPI 0 versions available)
15 dev-lang/python (all versions)
16 sys-apps/grep (EAPI 0 versions available)
17 sys-apps/util-linux (EAPI 0 versions available)
18 sys-fs/udev (EAPI 0 versions available)
19 sys-libs/ncurses (EAPI 0 versions available)
20
21 *(the list of system packages was determined by running emerge -ep --nodeps
22 @system. your concept of system packages may vary.)
23
24 also e2fsprogs-libs is exclusively EAPI 2, but there remains in the tree a
25 e2fsprogs ebuild from before the split that is EAPI 0.
26
27 So, should we always keep a working EAPI 0 version around? If not, when can
28 we drop support for old EAPIs? Your opinions please.
32 fonts, Character is what you are in the dark.
33 gcc-porting,
34 wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662