From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 19:11:29
1 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Other problems appear, though. Documentation is installed in a ${PF}
4 > subdir, so install locations actually do change when updating the
5 > minor revision.
6
7 Yes, the minor revisions should not be exported into the variables
8 of ebuild.sh. I had forgotten this.
9
10 > Also some method for updating binary packages would be needed.
11
12 I already mentioned that. But even if this is not implemented,
13 this is only a minor issue.
14
15 > All in all, I'm not convinced if the cure wouldn't be worse than the
16 > disease here.
17
18 The disease is making the distribution almost useless
19 or having broken dependencies.
20
21 > It would introduce another level of complexity, in order
22 > to avoid a few rebuilds.
23
24 It seems you never counted the number of silent modifications
25 to the tree: Just compare the number of changed packages in
26 metadata/ with the number of packages shown by eix-sync...
27 I would guess it means roughly that you have to recompile your
28 whole installation once a week, 95% of the rebuilds being due to
29 not fixing the package manager to work properly with dynamic deps.
30
31 Actually, I still think that implementing dynamic deps correctly
32 would be better, but minor revisions do not exclude this
33 and are probably simpler to implement.