From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: About changing security policy to unCC maintainers when their are not needed
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 07:31:46
1 El mié, 12-09-2012 a las 18:30 -0400, Sean Amoss escribió:
2 > On 09/12/2012 02:54 PM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
3 > > El jue, 13-09-2012 a las 04:30 +1000, Michael Palimaka escribió:
4 > >> On 2012-09-13 03:59, Pacho Ramos wrote:
5 > >>> Hello
6 > >>>
7 > >>> Currently, package maintainers are CCed to security bugs when their are
8 > >>> needed. The problem is that, once maintainers add a fixed version and
9 > >>> tell security team they are ok to get it stabilized, maintainers are
10 > >>> kept CCed until bug is closed by security team. This usually means
11 > >>> getting a lot of mail after some time when security team discuss if a
12 > >>> GLSA should be filled or not, if security bot adds some comment... some
13 > >>> of that comments are applied to really old bugs that need no action from
14 > >>> maintainers.
15 > >>>
16 >
17 > Our discussion is very minimal. There will typically never be any more
18 > than 3 comments discussing whether to have a GLSA or not -- in the event
19 > that 2 security team members disagree and a 3rd has to break the tie.
20 >
21 > Some bugs have been receiving more spam than usual (lately, from
22 > GLSAMaker/CVETool bot) as we have been trying to clean-up old CVE
23 > entries in the tool and old bugs.
24 >
25 > It would be nice if maintainers would follow-up on security bugs in
26 > [upstream], [ebuild], [stable], and [cleanup] to get those bugs closed
27 > as soon as possible. You are welcome to join the security team to help
28 > us keep bugs up-to-date and work on the backlog of GLSAs. :D
29 >
30 > >>> Maybe would be interesting to change the policy to unCC maintainers
31 > >>> again when their action is no longer required.
32 > >>>
33 > >>> What do you think?
34 > >>>
35 > >>> Thanks for your thoughts
36 > >>>
37 > >>
38 > >> Hello,
39 > >>
40 > >> Is the policy you describe officially documented, or just current
41 > behaviour?
42 > >>
43 > >
44 > > I don't know, at least it's the current behavior, but I don't know if
45 > > it's a policy :/
46 >
47 > Yes, this is part of the Vulnerability Treatment Policy [1], listed
48 > under the "Security Bug Wrangler role" in Chapter 3.
51 > >> In KDE and Qt herds for example, we usually just unCC ourselves when
52 > >> we've taken the required action.
53 > >>
54 > >> Best regards,
55 > >> Michael
56 > >>
57 >
58 > The security bug process [2] involves removing the vulnerable versions
59 > from the tree after all arches are finished stabilizing. This is to
60 > ensure that users do not accidentally install vulnerable software. Many
61 > maintainers do not do this and I think that all of us on the security
62 > team are guilty of not always following up to ensure the vulnerable
63 > versions are dropped. As Jeroen mentioned, how will maintainers know
64 > when to remove the vulnerable versions if they are not current on the bug?
65 >
66 > If stabilization is complete and the maintainers have removed vulnerable
67 > versions from the tree, there is typically no issue with unCC'ing
68 > themselves like KDE/Qt herds do.
69 >
70 > Arches sometimes run into minor issues that don't warrant opening a new
71 > bug - they should be able to get help from maintainers without re-CC'ing
72 > them.
73 >
74 > If a decision were made to unCC maintainers, there would probably be
75 > some maintainers/herds that want to be left on the CC list and the
76 > security team does not have the capacity right now to keep up with
77 > exceptions.
78 >
79 > (Strictly my opinions, not that of the whole security team)
82 > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/vulnerability-policy.xml#doc_chap3
83 > [2] http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/coordinator_guide.xml#doc_chap3
87 Regarding joining to security team, I have considered a lot of time that
88 option... but I clearly don't have enough time this days :|, sorry