From: NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Global USE=gui
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2016 01:59:01
1 On 06/02/2016 05:21 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 4:46 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> We understand that some people have goals like 'I want Qt everywhere,
5 >> I hate GTK+ so much I'd rather not be able to do anything than have
6 >> GTK+ on my system'. We respect them. But we're no longer going to
7 >> optimize Gentoo for those people.
10 > ++
11 >
12 > I think this is the right direction to take. Packages should try to
13 > use the appropriate libraries by default (assuming they support more
14 > than one), so the plasma user gets apps linked to qt5, and so on. The
15 > user shouldn't have to set USE flags to get basic behavior like this -
16 > maybe they just pick a profile.
17 >
18 > If a plasma user installs a package that only supports gtk, then it
19 > pulls in gtk.
20 >
21 > Users shouldn't need a laundry list of global or per-package USE
22 > settings if they don't really care which libraries they need. This
23 > reasonable default behavior also shouldn't result in every single
24 > package pulling in every possible optional dependency as well. It
25 > should just use the "right" one.
26 >
27 > If somebody wants to set USE=-* and micromanage every package, well,
28 > that will always work on Gentoo. However, that should not be the use
29 > case we optimize for.
32 So, at this juncture, is it worth considering a proper abstraction for
33 "suggests" and "optional" and/or "preferred" (for USE and *DEPEND)
34 rather than (or in addition to) USE="gui"?
37 NP-Hardass