From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: automatically killing invalid CFLAGS/warning about bad CFLAGS
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 23:53:51
1 Patrick McLean posted <443EAB73.6030804@g.o>, excerpted below, on
2 Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:50:11 -0400:
3
4 > For about a month now, we (amd64) have had some code in our
5 > profile.bashrc that filters CFLAGS that are unrecognized by gcc, and
6 > warnings the user about bad CFLAGS.
7 >
8 > So far it has worked fairly well, and it has really cut down on the
9 > number of bugs that filed by people with extreme ricer CFLAGS. It might
10 > be an idea to have something similar in the global bashrc, and have a
11 > system for arches to customize the CFLAGS that are warned about.
12 >
13 > The code is at gentoo-x86/profiles/default-linux/amd64/profile.bashrc
14 > for those who want to see it.
15
16 Not just ricer flags (or I wouldn't call them that anyway and unlike
17 some, can explain each one and why I use it)... I'm running gcc-4.0.x and
18 4.1.0, the latter as my default compiler, in addition to 3.4.6. One of
19 the flags I use (-ftree-pre) isn't recognized by 3.4.x, and it has been a
20 bit of a hassle removing it each time I revert to 3.4.6 to test something
21 or other.
22
23 I've been /very/ impressed with the way this works, as now I don't have to
24 worry about killing the flag when I switch gccs, because the profile code
25 kills it for me! =8^) The first time I noticed it, I wondered what kind
26 of magic the ebuild was doing. Then I saw it on a couple others, and then
27 happened across it while reviewing the profile. It works! =8^)
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
33 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list