From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 13:52:15
1 On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 22:47 +0100, Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 > On Tue, 16 May 2006 22:59:59 +0200
3 > "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Okay, then I suppose you might want first to create a project to
6 > > handle the profile and the whole bugs load that might come out of
7 > > that.
8 >
9 > Does every profile need a project to maintain it now? That's never been
10 > the case as far as I was aware. If people want a project though, I can
11 > create one.
12
13 Well, hardened/* and selinux/* are controlled by the Hardened Project,
14 the Embedded Project controls uclibc/* and embedded/*, and Release
15 Engineering (basically) controls default-linux with the assistance of
16 the architecture teams, which are a part of the Base Project. The
17 base/* profile is generally a collaboration of the above teams. The
18 default-bsd/* and default-darwin/* profiles are controlled by the
19 Gentoo/*BSD and Gentoo/Mac OS X Projects, respectively.
20
21 So while there's no rule set in stone that a project exists, it is a
22 generally followed practice.
23
24 I would say it wouldn't hurt to start a project for ensuring Paludis
25 support in the Portage tree. It would give a bit more credibility to
26 your cause.
29 Chris Gianelloni
30 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
31 x86 Architecture Team