From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Yi Qiang <khai@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] bugzilla suggestion: have stable and unstable in version drop down
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 11:56:59
1 On Mon, 2004-05-31 at 21:39, Yi Qiang wrote:
2 > It would be an incredibly dull task, but if people would like to help in that area, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, I don't buy the argument that because people don't use some of the options now (or they use it incorrectly) we should not implement helpful features. I think this would help bring up queries against bugs in the stable tree vs bugs in the "testing" tree. (If this can be done now, please inform me). I believe the major reason why people can not report bugs correctly is because of lack of documentation for it. In that respect, I am planning to write a Bug Reporting HOWTO (gentoo specific) in similar fashion to liquidx's Common Ebuild Mistakes document.
3
4 I honestly don't see the reason for it. A bug is a bug. They all need
5 to be resolved. I would venture that we have nearly as many users using
6 testing KEYWORDS as we do using the stable KEYWORDS. We really don't
7 need anything to differentiate between the two. The architectures
8 listed are there so that someone can provide a bug that may be relevant
9 only to a particular hardware platform, not to a specific KEYWORD.
10
11 Now, with all that being said, I see no reason that we could not *add* a
12 way to determine whether or not the package is stable, as I can see
13 people using it (though I definitely wouldn't). I just cannot agree
14 with changing either the version or the platform to meet this. Though I
15 do tend to think that except for the case of livecd bugs, the version is
16 mostly worthless in Gentoo.
19 Chris Gianelloni
20 Developer
21 Games/LiveCD Teams