From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic.sk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Dying on some CFLAGS instead of filtering them.
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:24:53
1 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2
3 > My argument is that we must not filter -ffast-math or any other dangerous
4 > cflags. The reason being that people will request more filters for all
5 > packages that don't work with it. Many users will either ignore or miss the
6 > warning messages. Filtering the flag basically tells them that even though
7 > the message says it is dangerous, their use of the flag is still more or less
8 > supported, while it is not.
9
10 Okay, I agree with this if it's considered acceptable to die during pkg_setup.
11 I was under the impression it's not.
12
13 >> Right, but how are people supposed to learn something is dangerous if all
14 >> the sharp edges have been filed off? And how can you decide which flags
15 >> are "bad" and "good" on a global level when for the most part compiler
16 >> parameters are akin to black magic?
17 >
18 > In this case the compiler documentation itself says it is dangerous. That
19 > should be enough.
20
21 Agreed. Anything but global filtering.
22
23 --de.