From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] stabilizing libraries without testing reverse deps
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 14:27:23
1 On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 00:23:16 +0800
2 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 09/30/2013 07:45 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
5 > > due to technical issues with the robo-stable scripts.
6 >
7 > > due to technical issues with the robo-stable scripts.
8 >
9 > let me summarize my response as "WAT"
10
11 I call, and raise you a "THIS".
12
13 > Maybe we should just have a cronjob that just does all that
14 > automatically?
15
16 Having been doing stabilisation for nearly eight years, I have often
17 *thought* about ways to automate architecture testing/stabilisation.
18
19 I have invested in tools and scripts that help me run certain steps
20 along the way. I have never invested time or effort in automating
21 the process entirely, because it will cause failures.
22
23 Actually looking at stabilisation targets (the relevance USE flags, code
24 in the actual ebuilds, DEPENDs), assessing the targets' importance (for
25 instance, in checking what RDEPENDs on them), and testing accordingly,
26 is the only way to ensure that a stabilisation request is sane and
27 doable, and only then can you execute it.
28
29 Since we have had automated stabilisation requests filed, it has
30 become even more important to not automate stabilisation itself.
31
32 Not automating the entire process involves more manual steps, and most
33 of the time it isn't very rewarding, but it does get the job done of
34 catching out nearly all of the superficial bugs (like, does this
35 library actually work with stable RDEPENDs).
38 jer