From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] QA Team's role
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:07:57
1 > webapp-config should be updated to handle such situation more gracefully, so
2 > why don't you file a bug about this? Is that all you have wrt "all the ways
3 > in which webapp-config is broken"? If so, that's not really much of a
4 > justification of the broad claim ciaranm has made as a QA project member.
5
6 I only encountered the problem the day before yesterday, and hadn't
7 gotten around to filing the bug yet. I assure you that I intend on
8 doing so.
11 >> And please, don't tell me this is a feature. It breaks noninteractivity
12 >> for every "webapp" in the entire tree.
13 >
14 > What kind of non-interactivity? What's this universal non-interactivity
15 > blurb of yours and ciaranm's about? There's no such thing when it comes to
16 > configuration. If you want automated "configuration", then please use
17 > Windows and stop moaning. If you don't want to read manpages or at least
18 > --help, then please use Windows as well. If you want to use non-default
19 > setup, then you need to change default values, that's what common sense
20 > dictates at least. And don't use the (non)-interactivity magical formular in
21 > a context where it has zero sense.
22
23 No! You are completely missing the point. The non-interactivity of
24 which we speak is the idea that when you emerge some package, it is
25 perfectly reasonable (and in fact should be required) to expect that
26 package to install to your userland with no further prodding. There
27 should be no USE collisions which cause the emerge to die. There should
28 be no default configuration which will break other packages in the tree
29 by default.
30
31 Note that in no way am I talking about auto-configuration, as that would
32 be silly. The example problem with webapp-config which I have described
33 here forces a user to intervene to get packages to install to the proper
34 location. This is not desirable.
35
36 Basically, I really don't see why webapp-config can't have some logic
37 built in which makes it smart enough to figure out which webserver
38 somebody is using.
39
40 -Steve
41 --