From: Sven Wegener <swegener@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] *DEPEND mismatches
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 00:04:34
1 Hi all!
2
3 Short explanation for the subject: A *DEPEND mismatch is when a package
4 is listed in DEPEND, but missing in RDEPEND and vice versa. I have a
5 list of ebuilds at http://dev.gentoo.org/~swegener/qa/depend-mismatches
6 that contain such mismatches. I've already whitelisted packages like
7 automake and autoconf, that are safe to be only in DEPEND. And I also
8 whitelisted packages like emul-linux-x86-baselibs for being
9 RDEPEND-only. Pure meta packages like gnome-base/gnome or kde-base/kde
10 have everything whitelisted for RDEPEND and everything blacklisted for
11 DEPEND. Additional blacklistings include virtual/modutils for DEPEND.
12
13 This check is important, because when merging binary packages portage
14 will only install RDEPEND and when building stages (via ROOT support)
15 DEPEND will go to / and RDEPEND will got to the specified ROOT. I want
16 to clean *DEPEND up, so that we have sane dependencies. Currently, for
17 normal merging, portage forces both DEPEND and RDEPEND to be installed,
18 even after the merging is complete. This might or will change in the
19 future and break packages that have these mismatches.
20
21 I want developers to take a look at the list and see if packages they
22 maintain are listed. I'm aware that the list is quite large and still
23 contains a lot of false positives. I can whitelist packages for DEPEND
24 or RDEPEND either general, based on eclass usage or for a specific
25 package. If you are sure that your package has a safe mismatch, I can
26 add it to the whitelist. But please one after the other, this is just an
27 initial test.
28
29 Cheers,
30 Sven