From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Discussion: alternative compatible utilities
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 06:00:05
1 As Gentoo/FreeBSD proceeds, I'm trying to abstract as much as I can the
2 underlying userland.
3 Thinking of Gentoo/FreeBSD just as a starting point for other porting of
4 Gentoo's framework on different operating systems (for example the
5 already-work-in-progress Gentoo/Darwin, the I-don't-know-how's-doing
6 Gentoo/OpenBSD, and the maybe-someone-will-work-on Gentoo/NetBSD), there's
7 something I'd really like to see: alternatives for system utilities.
8
9 Let me explain: on Gentoo/Linux systems, all the base utilities (make, tar,
10 sed, etc etc) are GNUish; on Gentoo/FreeBSD they are BSDish; on Gentoo/Darwin
11 I don't really know :P
12 This limits a bit the user because to use other kind of utilities it must use
13 aliases and he can't change, for example, the tar used by portage or by other
14 scripts.
15
16 As eselect's work is proceeding it can be interesting having a way to have the
17 base utils install with a prefix (g for GNU stuff, bsd for BSD stuff,
18 eventually fbsd/obsd/nbsd if they are different) and then having a link to
19 the basename which acn be changed with eselect.
20 Most of the scripts which needs a specific syntax (usually GNU syntax) already
21 checks for prefixed executables like gmake, gsed and so on, but the main
22 problem is with portage (think of all the make DESTDIR="${D} install stuff),
23 also if emake is fixed and sed stuff is as compatible as possible.
24
25 Having to provide compatibility with such a framework is quite difficult at
26 this point because many ebuilds does depend on GNU syntax also if not clearly
27 stated, but I hope this can be fixed step-by-step using g-prefixed commands
28 (after making sure that all systems will have g-prefixed commands).
29 It's not like something is going to happen soon, but maybe in the future this
30 can be a good way to make sure we expand the abiliy of users to select what
31 they really want.
32
33 Comments, ideas, and everythign else is welcome, it's a discussion after all.
36 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
37 Gentoo Developer (Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Gentoo/AMD64)
38
39 http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/